Skip to main content

New York, New York...

I return from the US having eaten most of the delectations that we hear about only in books over here. Admittedly some were in places of dubious repute, but try this on for size:

Wednesday

Egg soda (some touristy place where we also got a "parfait" cake with cream and fruit and some waffles) (This is a pic of my sister)

Chicken udon (Japanese)



Thursday

Corn muffins (dry things with sweetcorn in but with crispy top) (au bon pain)

Cinnamon bun (cold the gits)

Cosi's flatbread sandwich with pork and brie

Bubba Gumps stuffed shrimp (weird that what they stuff it is is so rich - crab, and that it is less stuffed, more balls placed on top of flayed shrimp)


Friday

  • Pax breakfast wrap
  • Beef and Sesame chinese in Chinatown
  • Magnolia cupcakes (only the red velvet one was wow enough for the trip)
  • Japanese sushi for dinner

Saturday

  • Cafe Bari for redpepper ommlette wrap with breakfast potatoes (hash browns)
  • Baked ziti at Rocky's Diner (italian cafe)
  • French toast rice pudding with roasted peach topping (omigod, so great, so gorgeous - Rice to dreams)
  • Pink Berry frozen yoghurt with chocolate chips (my sister was horrified she queued that long only to find what they were selling was YOGHURT and not ice cream)
  • Chicken Rice soup and biscuit (dry-ish, like a scone but with buttermilk)
  • Pumpkin Pie (Wholefoods store, tastes soft but smooth-ish)
  • Snickerdoodles cookie (nice buttery biscuit)

Sunday


Cholla french toast (Ellen's star dust diner, yummy yummy and with singing staff)

Steak (Tad's steak - place where mexican's eat cheap food with Mash and gravy. Seriously their "garlic bread" has butter from a vat poured over)

Maxies on Times Square Meatloaf and potatoes.



Monday

  • Oatmeal with fruit and brown sugar (Pax. Omigod I never knew porridge could taste that lovely)

  • Trump's Grill fixed price lunch - caesar salad, burger and brownie with ice cream

  • Sbarro Pizza at the airport - god that base is hard!!

Separate section for the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. Much hyped, it's in a difficult to get to area (take the address and a map) and it's teeny tiny. Like someone's front room. Too warm, most the cakes around the room weren't cup cakes. They had a lot of staff for the size of the room and a guy who basically worked the door like a club doorman. Would I visit again? Maybe if I wanted a full cake, we just went to try it out and despite the hyped up multiple flavours, we only saw two trays we could pick stuff up from so my sis bought a chocolate, I bought a vanilla and bought a red velvet since in the UK we don't do it. The red velvet one was worth the hype. Lighter frosting, really moist and soft sponge in the despicable red. The other ones just weren't as nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Allen's Chicken Pie

Some things should be noted. I'm not a major fan of Rachel Allen. She always seemed such a poor man's version of Nigella. Some trophy wife of a producer somewhere making a lady of leisure's living of cookery shows playing up the Irish accent in a cavernous show kitchen. Perhaps it was because all her helpful "tricks" had already been touted by others a long time ago - like getting the garlic smell out of your hands... But over the years she's kind of grown on me. The format is a little twee, the pink accessories want to make me barf, but she isn't the spawn of all things faux goddess anymore. (FYI I have no idea with regards to her personal life etc, but like my distaste for Ashley Judd, one wonders how she gets good films with little acting skill.) So here I was, tapping away on the internet last week whilst she was on tv, and there it was. A beast of a pie. It was so beautiful. Her job was done. Out I trotted to buy a huge pie dish (we don't own cera...

Cookie Carnival: Lemon Bars

My first Cookie Carnival project. Many thanks to the organiser and this month's host for letting me join in. Lemon bars from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy. I have no idea who Melissa is but I'm not a fan of her lemon bars. Hmm, I sense I'm already at odds with the cheery Cookie club mentality, but to thy own self be true. (Lord, I'm quoting Clueless again...) The recipe looks close to Lemon Meringue bars, but with less yolk and a touch of flour. And missing all important meringue. Now here’s the thing. This is the UK . We don’t HAVE Lemon Bars. I’ve just done a quick search on Google Images and it appears they have a very standard appearance. Adding meringue would definitely be cheating, as would my first thoughts of drizzling these babies with dark chocolate. These babies are rectangular, they are dusted in icing sugar and they better be made with lemon. I made a few changes but not enough as far as I'm concerned. More yolks would have made the ...

Cookie Carnival: Hazelnut Macaroon Sandwiches

I made these insanely early, but here is my schedule: 4th May the Cookie Carnival email came out from Kate, this weekend I made them, next weekend I'm in Scotland, that gives me two weekends left. Yeah, looking at that, now I have no idea why I thought I HAD to make them this weekend (10th) :S I'll figure out what I HAVE to do in May soon. Probably some hen-do or wedding for someone I've forgotten. Ouch. I've always struggled with macaroons. I've made them... twice. Once using the Roux brother's book, once from the wonderful Tartlette blog (see right). Both failed miserably. The first one was edible. It probably wasn't a good idea to try and use teaspoons which they SAID was okay, the second time I tried to risk it with greaseproof and naturally everything stuck everywhere. They also make scarily little so by the time you've peeled them off the tray, you've eaten most of them. This recipe made a shed-load. There's pictures of the macaroons on eve...