Skip to main content

Egg tart recipe - classic

This one I got from a friend's mum a long time ago when I saw the picture. This was like inception of facebook, pre Instagram and I've never seen anything as good since. Here are mine, packaged up and ready to go to friends before I consume far too much. They're pretty angerous, especially when warm.


My own skills being limited, but every time I want to go back and try egg tarts I search for this recipe. I've expanded some on the original recipe although it is as flexible as old school recipes seem to be. Lard can be replaced with shortening. Cake flour can be used instead of Plain flour. Eggs are medium or large. Where it says liquids as ounces, I literally weigh ounces of liquid out rather than fluid ounces. No idea if they're any different. I'll update the pictures when I make nicer ones. Trimming the pastry would probably make it nicer to look at, but I'll take the extra depth of filling any time.





Ingredients:
Oil Pastry:
150g Plain flour
230g Lard
2 tbsp custard powder
4 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Water Pastry:
150g plain flour
60g cold water
1 egg

Filling:
A: 8oz hot water
4 oz sugar

B: 4 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3oz evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:

  1. Combine Oil Pastry ingredients and freeze for 30 minutes.
  2. Combine Water Pastry ingredients and freeze for 30 minutes
    Note: Oil Pastry is quickly made using a food processor.
  3. Wrap the water pastry around the oil pastry and enclose completely.
    Note: The water pastry will seem insubstantial in comparison to the oil pastry but it will wrap (particularly if you shaped the oil pastry into a relatively compact block before chilling.)
    The water pastry is also annoyingly sticky, even to cling film so have some patience.
  4. Roll and fold 3 times (use cling film) and chill.
  5. Roll and fold four times chill and repeat.
    Note: Translate steps 4 and 5 as fold and chill till you have about 16 layers. I use a mix of book folds (fold to middle and then in half) and into thirds depending on how the pastry feels. For some reason if you chill this overnight the pastry feels even more brittle and rips, so it may be worth letting it relax a little when you remove from the fridge if it's not pliable. It really doesn't matter much if you fold length ways and then widthways, just keep the meeting of the ends neat and square as much as possible.
  6. Roll out to 3mm thick on a surface dusted with flour.
  7. Cut with a cutter, line tins and chill.
    Note: No greasing of the tin is required. If the egg leaks they will be painful to wash anyway but soak and scrub is the way to go. If the pastry is higher than the lip of the tin it can catch on the tin some when you remove and the pastry breaks off which destroys the look somewhat. Push from the centre of the tin out so as to preserve the layers.
  8. Make the filling by dissolving the sugar in the water.
  9. Mix ingredients for B together and then add A to B.
  10. Strain filling ingredients through a sieve and then fill tart cases to 80% capacity.
    Note: the aim is to have no airbubbles in the mix to avoid unsightly blemishes to the surface of the custard.
  11. Bake for 15 minutes at Gas Mark 7/220C.
    Note: These bake particularly well on a low shelf with the bottom heat on to cook the pastry before the custard.
  12. Remove from oven when there is still some wobble to the custard. They will be slightly domed at first but will fall once cooled.
  13. Total recipe makes approximately 18 egg tarts with excess pastry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Allen's Chicken Pie

Some things should be noted. I'm not a major fan of Rachel Allen. She always seemed such a poor man's version of Nigella. Some trophy wife of a producer somewhere making a lady of leisure's living of cookery shows playing up the Irish accent in a cavernous show kitchen. Perhaps it was because all her helpful "tricks" had already been touted by others a long time ago - like getting the garlic smell out of your hands... But over the years she's kind of grown on me. The format is a little twee, the pink accessories want to make me barf, but she isn't the spawn of all things faux goddess anymore. (FYI I have no idea with regards to her personal life etc, but like my distaste for Ashley Judd, one wonders how she gets good films with little acting skill.) So here I was, tapping away on the internet last week whilst she was on tv, and there it was. A beast of a pie. It was so beautiful. Her job was done. Out I trotted to buy a huge pie dish (we don't own cera

Low carb diet plan

It's January. I've allowed my weight to grow UP with the Covid curve and somehow it still has not come down. Thanks to a large part to me using up a number of hot chocolate bomb "fails" just before Christmas I think. Wall of text alert - I don't plan on ever writing about this ever again. To be clear, I've never been a fan of carb-cutting. Cutting an entire food group seems wrong. Carbs, as we were taught at school, are cornerstones for growth. I felt like decking a "doctor" at an annual work health check when he told me to cut carbs as a way to get my weight down. The fact he then pushed a blog which was at its infancy at the time felt like a distinct conflict of interest. Anyway, I do absolutely agree I need to cut sugar, and I will never disagree that whole grains are better for you. It is also very, very effective dieting wise on me. We don't know why, I do know I have a lot of water weight which fluctuates a lot in the month and also it does

Amazon dependency

Random non-food moment, I am trying to boycott Amazon at the moment. It's monopoly and ethics don't sit well with me. I'm not one who thinks Bezos should be lynched for his money for the greater good, nor do I think taxing the company is particularly effective as they do have choices of jurisdictions and in the case of France, a smile and a "pass it on to the supplier" approach. Instead I'm just going to do my part by not buying from them. Probably not the greatest protest on earth since I'm cutting down on purchasing anyway (minimalism, where for art thou? Buried under two rooms of baking equipment that's where.) Anyway, I still want books. My favourite place in the world is sitting in Waterstones Piccadilly with a pile of books. On a few occasions I have read them cover to cover over a number of weeks like using it as a public library. Much like the occasional homeless guy having a nap in a safe space. (I'd like to say one book was on minimalism