I picked this recipe up in the Metro ages ago because the picture looked very pretty and I've been to Primrose bakery in Covent Garden once before (and unlike Hummingbird, I think the cupcakes are very nice if not particularly remarkable against home baking).
I debated the merits of frosting, but decided against in the end. I'll write the recipe here as per the newspaper cutting (in my odd bullet way). Since the frosting was chocolate it wouldn't have achieved what I thought was missing from the cupcakes - a stronger orange taste. Next time I think I might have to find some orange crunchy bits or something. An orange aero crushed up maybe. It was just missing... something.
115g dark chocolate
90g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
1 orange zest
2 large eggs
185g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
1 orange's juice
1. Melt chocolate and leave to one side for a sec (I use a microwave, you can use a bain-marie... most people have established that the best way to melt chocolate is not to sit on it, albeit it can be unfortunately effective...)
2. Cream butter, sugar and zest.
3. Add egg. Mix. Call this Mixture A
4. Flour plus bicarb, baking powder, salt etc in one bowl. Mixture B.
5. Milk and juice. Mixture C.
6. Now, put the melted chocolate into the butter mix (Mixture A) Mix in (don't worry, you're going to mix some more so it's not going to matter too much).
7. Add 1/3 flour stuff (Mixture B)
8. Add 1/2 juice (Mixture C)
9. Add 1/3 flour stuff (Mixture B)
10. Add remaining 1/2 juice (Mixture C)
11. Add remaining 1/3 flour (Mixture B)
12. Now if that wasn't too complicated (if you give up just mix it all in gradually in batches, it really doesn't matter that much although it's preferable to end with the floury stuff. )
13. Put into cupcake cases (I have 12 muffin sized ones)
14. Bake for 30 minutes Gas Mark 4.
15. Prod gently/shove a skewer in to check.
Enjoy the yumminess.