Skip to main content

Egg free vanilla birthday cake

Despite eating everything (bar sourdough), I seem to require vegan, egg-free or gluten-free cakes quite regularly, usually because of other people's allergies and if you want of get rid of (almost) everything, vegan is a good option which everyone can eat. I did it for my wedding dessert table. Actually the best thing I did was jelly and lots of it. Guaranteed not to have kids reaching for their epipens. Well, highly, highly unlikely I should say. Previously though, I've always either used the "with vinegar" option and these cakes tend to be chocolate or apple based. This year I've been asked to make a vanilla cake for my friend's son who is allergic to eggs. Thankfully he is now a little older than the first time I baked for him (so dairy products are now IN!)

The following was adapted from the following site, I actually made it in its coffee form as a part of a hospital drop off and it turned out well hence I adapted it to vanilla. Moreover though, as it didn't require any special ingredients (I refuse to buy flax seed), and just involved a bit more baking agent, it's a really handy recipe to have.



The recipe itself makes one four layer 5 inch cake.

Ingredients:

Cake:
300g self-raising flour (or plain with baking powder)
180g caster sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
300ml milk (any type)
120ml oil (sunflower or veggie oil)
1 tsp vanilla paste/extract plus 6 tsp water

Syrup:
2tbsp sugar
50ml hot water

For the cake:
  1. Preheat oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine. (Like muffin mix, mix lightly and avoid overmixing until the flour disappears.)
  4. Bake for 16-18 minutes in 5inch lined pans (I use Wilton rainbow cake pans.)
    1. For a tray bake 20-25minutes and keep testing with a skewer.
  5. Combine sugar and hot water and stir until dissolved. (If you're being good, boil the water on the hob, you can also add flavourings or alcohol here).
  6. Brush or gently spoon over the still warm cake.
    Filling and decoration for one 5 inch layer cake (so double if you need two!):
    350g butter/dairy free alternative (very soft)
    700g icing sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp salt
    Food colouring

    1. Beat the butter, vanilla and salt in a stand mixer.
    2. Sieve the icing sugar over the top and combine slightly manually before whisking on high until fluffy.
    3. Divide into bowls as required and mix in food colouring (I used Wilton Leaf Green, and a more concentrated mix with a smidge of Pandan essence which has some green food dye in).
    4. Pipe on the sides and swirl as you like, remembering not to overwork the mixture.
      NOTE: 200g butter's worth was probably enough to fill and crumb coat  the cake, 150g is more than enough for the sides and  decorative element, however if you are making a pattern, a fair amount gets scraped off to achieve it.


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Rachel Allen's Chicken Pie

    Some things should be noted. I'm not a major fan of Rachel Allen. She always seemed such a poor man's version of Nigella. Some trophy wife of a producer somewhere making a lady of leisure's living of cookery shows playing up the Irish accent in a cavernous show kitchen. Perhaps it was because all her helpful "tricks" had already been touted by others a long time ago - like getting the garlic smell out of your hands... But over the years she's kind of grown on me. The format is a little twee, the pink accessories want to make me barf, but she isn't the spawn of all things faux goddess anymore. (FYI I have no idea with regards to her personal life etc, but like my distaste for Ashley Judd, one wonders how she gets good films with little acting skill.) So here I was, tapping away on the internet last week whilst she was on tv, and there it was. A beast of a pie. It was so beautiful. Her job was done. Out I trotted to buy a huge pie dish (we don't own cera

    Low carb diet plan

    It's January. I've allowed my weight to grow UP with the Covid curve and somehow it still has not come down. Thanks to a large part to me using up a number of hot chocolate bomb "fails" just before Christmas I think. Wall of text alert - I don't plan on ever writing about this ever again. To be clear, I've never been a fan of carb-cutting. Cutting an entire food group seems wrong. Carbs, as we were taught at school, are cornerstones for growth. I felt like decking a "doctor" at an annual work health check when he told me to cut carbs as a way to get my weight down. The fact he then pushed a blog which was at its infancy at the time felt like a distinct conflict of interest. Anyway, I do absolutely agree I need to cut sugar, and I will never disagree that whole grains are better for you. It is also very, very effective dieting wise on me. We don't know why, I do know I have a lot of water weight which fluctuates a lot in the month and also it does

    Amazon dependency

    Random non-food moment, I am trying to boycott Amazon at the moment. It's monopoly and ethics don't sit well with me. I'm not one who thinks Bezos should be lynched for his money for the greater good, nor do I think taxing the company is particularly effective as they do have choices of jurisdictions and in the case of France, a smile and a "pass it on to the supplier" approach. Instead I'm just going to do my part by not buying from them. Probably not the greatest protest on earth since I'm cutting down on purchasing anyway (minimalism, where for art thou? Buried under two rooms of baking equipment that's where.) Anyway, I still want books. My favourite place in the world is sitting in Waterstones Piccadilly with a pile of books. On a few occasions I have read them cover to cover over a number of weeks like using it as a public library. Much like the occasional homeless guy having a nap in a safe space. (I'd like to say one book was on minimalism