Skip to main content

All American Buttermilk Cake

Buttermilk cupcakes. It's my fault. Trains were awful this morning so I turned myself round at the station and asked for the day off as holiday. In my quest to bake I bought buttermilk and sour cream because all my recipes call for that? Right? Wrong. Why is it that all those recipes suddenly disappear? So I looked online and found a recipe for buttermilk cake. Which I made into little cupcakes because I cba to grease a pan and because my cousin said to .

Buttermilk cupcake

100 g margerine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
pinch salt
1 cup buttermilk


1. Cream marge and sugar, add eggs and vanilla.

2. Alternate buttermilk and dried goods.

3. Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes.




They came out very flat - expected really since the recipe has an insane demand for self-raising AND added raising agents, must have been compensating for something. But they were delightfully flat and flooded the pan in pretty way. Mum preferred them to my usual cupcakes because they were more moist and looser in crumb. Well she would have said that if there was a direct chinese translation but that's basically the gist of it. After giving her the recipe, she asked what buttermilk was... and proceeded to enquire if she could use milk. Cream? Evaporated milk? She doesn't really go for things in the chiller like I do. Makes sense really - I now have an annoying glup which I will have to make scones with.

I also decided to make a small amount of frosting using a glup of sour cream (the rest of the pot will make a batch of my standard cupcakes). Remind me to stop doing this. I don't actually like sour cream frosting, but every time it calls because it is so easy to make. Actually I think it's mainly the plain chocolate effect I hate but either way, MUST STOP.

Recipe for sour cream frosting which I used on two cupcakes:
4oz chocolate (100g or half a pack of the big bars)
1/2 cup of sour cream (glup, glup)

1. Melt chocolate.
2. Mix in sour cream.
3. Ta-dah!

Okay I missed a step. Although it was optional! I bought some coffee granules today. I don't drink coffee other than the sugar and cream high frappa-chi-chi latte what have you's from Starbucks. So it was a task. I picked the smallest jar that wasn't Nescafe and lo - it was this slightly fancy hazelnut one that I picked. Alternatives were french vanilla or swiss chocolate. Interesting! I've had a cup now and it's not half bad, but no point getting into a caffeine addiction when I already do a nice cuppa tea. Anyway I got them for purposes of all these cute coffee biscuit recipes I have, but for the purposes of today I dissolved a teaspoon in a teaspoon of water, added to the sour cream before I stirred it all into the chocolate. Can't say I really tasted it, but then it might be why I had to add some sugar at the end because the plain chocolate is REALLY plainnnnnnnn. Will never understand why it is THE cooking chocolate when milk tastes so much better but hey. Maybe I should just rebel.


That's a picture of the cupcake innards. I also bought some sprinkles today and so decorated with some granulated sugar and a little coloured E numbered topping. Appetising aren't I? Oh well, little in moderation. Had some Hummingbird bakery cupcakes yesterday. Not great great in my opinion. The red velvet wasn't half bad last week, but the chocolate is just light chocolate with definitely a better frosting than what I achieved today. What I did find wow was the ingenuity. I've never frosted cupcakes much namely because if you are travelling with cupcakes its hard to keep them intact. But some of the chocolate cupcakes from hummingbird were coated in chocolate vermicelli. Making a nice, neat, protective cover of chocolate over the frosting. Gotta try it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Allen's Chicken Pie

Some things should be noted. I'm not a major fan of Rachel Allen. She always seemed such a poor man's version of Nigella. Some trophy wife of a producer somewhere making a lady of leisure's living of cookery shows playing up the Irish accent in a cavernous show kitchen. Perhaps it was because all her helpful "tricks" had already been touted by others a long time ago - like getting the garlic smell out of your hands... But over the years she's kind of grown on me. The format is a little twee, the pink accessories want to make me barf, but she isn't the spawn of all things faux goddess anymore. (FYI I have no idea with regards to her personal life etc, but like my distaste for Ashley Judd, one wonders how she gets good films with little acting skill.) So here I was, tapping away on the internet last week whilst she was on tv, and there it was. A beast of a pie. It was so beautiful. Her job was done. Out I trotted to buy a huge pie dish (we don't own cera

Low carb diet plan

It's January. I've allowed my weight to grow UP with the Covid curve and somehow it still has not come down. Thanks to a large part to me using up a number of hot chocolate bomb "fails" just before Christmas I think. Wall of text alert - I don't plan on ever writing about this ever again. To be clear, I've never been a fan of carb-cutting. Cutting an entire food group seems wrong. Carbs, as we were taught at school, are cornerstones for growth. I felt like decking a "doctor" at an annual work health check when he told me to cut carbs as a way to get my weight down. The fact he then pushed a blog which was at its infancy at the time felt like a distinct conflict of interest. Anyway, I do absolutely agree I need to cut sugar, and I will never disagree that whole grains are better for you. It is also very, very effective dieting wise on me. We don't know why, I do know I have a lot of water weight which fluctuates a lot in the month and also it does

Amazon dependency

Random non-food moment, I am trying to boycott Amazon at the moment. It's monopoly and ethics don't sit well with me. I'm not one who thinks Bezos should be lynched for his money for the greater good, nor do I think taxing the company is particularly effective as they do have choices of jurisdictions and in the case of France, a smile and a "pass it on to the supplier" approach. Instead I'm just going to do my part by not buying from them. Probably not the greatest protest on earth since I'm cutting down on purchasing anyway (minimalism, where for art thou? Buried under two rooms of baking equipment that's where.) Anyway, I still want books. My favourite place in the world is sitting in Waterstones Piccadilly with a pile of books. On a few occasions I have read them cover to cover over a number of weeks like using it as a public library. Much like the occasional homeless guy having a nap in a safe space. (I'd like to say one book was on minimalism